Apr 20, 2022

Mix a Grungy Background with Colorful Flowers

 Can you mix a grungy grey, brown masculine background with bright and colorful flowers? I say go for t! See how I did just that in this post for The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

Check out the bright colors against the grungy background!


I am working on a Mini Etcetera tag so half of apiece of Heavyweight Distress Cardstock is perfect to work with.

I began by using my favorite ink smooshing technique with Pumice Stone Oxide Ink and Hickory Smoke Distress Ink. After a few dips and dries, I was happy with the background. I added texture by blending Hickory Smoke Ink with Stencil Number 058 which is all numbers. I love layering backgrounds!

Now, what screams masculine more than metal Gears? I used the Gears Embossing folder to impress the background. After inking it first, I ran it through my Big Shot. I flipped it over and repeated the process. I did end up with a line where the folder met, but my plan is to cover that with a quote chip.

I roughed the edges up with a tool from Tim Holtz and blended Hickory Smoke Distress Ink around the edges. Now we needed some more interest so I added splatters with Rusty Hinge and Gathered Twig Inks. A littel water allows to inks to move.

I have a short video documenting the process here:


Here is the link in case the video isn't appearing: https://youtu.be/b5HeY0EN-G8.


I added pieces of ephemera using Collage Medium. Next it is time to add that gorgeous bloom! The bloom is cut from Heavyweight Cardstock ink smooshed with Abandoned Coral and Saltwater Taffy. The leaves are smooshed with Peeled Paint and Bundled Sage. I used the same technique to smoosh as I did for the base, just used brighter colors!


The final touches include a Theories Quote Chip covered with Vintage Photo Embossing Glaze, a butterfly ephemera coated with glitter and the bow at the top which is seam binding colored with Saltwater Taffy and Vintage Photo Inks.

Products used today:
Note: While some of the specific items are not in stock, there are great substitutions available such as other Brushstroke Dies, Theory Quotes, Embossing Folders and Stencils. Check the website for items.

We have a challenge on The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog. We'd love to see you enter. There are prizes! Thanks so much for stopping by today! I'd love to have you follow/subscribe on my social media sites Instagram, Facebook, Blogger and You Tube.  Be well. Be creative!







3 comments:

  1. Beautiful flower with a lovely pop of color on the neutral grungy background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tag! I love that pop of color with the flower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the contrast of the masculine background with the bold flowers out front. Great tag!

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts