Have you tried water coloring with Savoy 100% Cotton Cardstock and then stenciling over the background? Today I am posting for CutCardStock. A recent post by Mindy Eggen showing this technique caught my eye. I absolutely had to try it!

I love the depth of color created!
Start With the Savoy Cardstock Base
Start with a piece of Savoy 100% Cotton Cardstock. Tape the panel to a base using very thin margins. This will allow you to move the panel around allowing the watercolors to move.

Wet the panel first and then apply watercolors randomly, allowing the colors to blend. Dry with a heat tool. Make sure the panel is completely dry before adding the stenciled blooms. The general rule is if the panel is cool, it still has moisture.

I know it looks a little messy, but the stenciled blooms change the entire appearance!
Stencil the Blooms
Select a large bloom stencil that will cover a good portion of the panel. I used Altenew’s Peony Lilac Swag Stencil. As you are stenciling over the watercolor panel, be mindful of the colors below. In other words use warm colors over the warm portion of the base and cool colors over the cool areas.

Feel free to ink blend additional color over the non-stenciled areas to brighten the base.
Assemble the Card
Trim the Savoy panel to 3.75 x 5.0 inches. Choose two colors of cardstock to make a double panel. In my case, I used Pop Tone Black Licorice and Pop Tone Razzleberry Cardstocks. You need to trim the panels to 4.0 x 5.25 and 4.25 x 5.5 inches. Use the darker color for the larger base panel.

Create a sentiment for the card. I selected a lowercase sentiment with a shadow die. I used the Pop tone Razzleberry for the shadow and black for the letters. Cut these type of elements from the panels to save cardstock.
Glue the sentiment and attach to the stenciled panel. Layer the panels in size order and attach to a card base made with Cougar White 110 lb. Cardstock (my favorite for card bases).

Thanks so much for stopping by. Be sure to check out all the great products available at CutCardStock. Their customer service is exceptional! Be well. Be creative!
No comments:
Post a Comment